How to Write a Letter of Congratulations. Sometimes you may find yourself in a situation where it is necessary to congratulate someone.
12 First Avenue
New York, NY
The 'NY Herald' of today brought the good news of your excellent success in your Intermediate Examination. Your name figuring in the list of candidates passed with merit goes to add to the appreciation for your school teachers and parents. The way is now clear for you to join the best university anywhere in the nation.
What kind of university do you intend to join and which subjects do you propose to choose in your further studies? I would suggest that you should go in for commercial subjects as they would fit you for a managerial post in your family-run business. This way, it will be a double benefit for you and your family. Not only would you be getting an executive position suited to your abilities and capabilities, but it will also make it very convenient for your father to have his own son as the manager of his firm, thereby saving him a handsome amount of salary, which he will otherwise have to pay to an outsider, besides the trust aspect.
This is only a suggestion from my part. You are perfectly free in your choice in the end, and should be doing something of your own interest.
Please accept my heartiest congratulations on your well-deserved success.
Congratulations on winning the coveted Best Team Trophy in the recent inter- club Sports Meet in Butterworth! The company is proud of your achievement.
When you want to tell someone their life achievement is worth celebrating, it’s typical to offer a note of congratulations.
Saying ‘congratulations’ can take many forms. Sometimes, we shorten the word to simply, ‘Congrats!’ Other times, it may be more appropriate to pen a long, thorough message that showcases how proud you are.
Whatever the case—be it a finished marathon, a major promotion, a new baby, or even a small victory like pulling a grade up from a C to an A—writing a congratulations message is a fantastic way to express your feelings and give praise.
As long as you pay attention to the recipient’s milestone, your words of congratulations will let them know you truly care about their success. Who knows, your heartfelt message might just make their day!
Since we’ve been focusing on writing how-to’s all month long, here are our tips for giving hearty congratulations throughout every stage of life.
A wedding is a massive milestone in any person’s life, which puts the pressure on you to write something extra-special in your wedding card. Don’t worry! Here are some ideas to get you started . . .
There’s a new addition to the family, and it’s a small bundle of joy! Let your friend, coworker, or family member know how excited you are to meet the baby and, of course, see pictures. You could begin your congratulations message with . . .
Graduating is a big deal at any age, as it’s often the culminating moment of years of hard work. How can you encapsulate a person’s educational achievements in words? Here are two good places to start . . .
If you’re still lost for words, these tips can make it easier to write a message of congratulations, no matter who’s on the receiving end.
1Start strong. There’s one word you can always count on as you begin singing your praises. You probably guessed it: Congratulations! By congratulating your recipient from the very start, your note will already be on target with what you want to say.
2Be personal. Everyone loves a hand-written compliment! After you say congrats, tell the recipient how proud you are of them and remind them why they deserve this. Acknowledge the specific achievement and add in some extra congratulations words.
3End with a heartfelt closing. Offer your well-wishes for their continued success or new chapter, and you’re all set!
The goal of any congratulations message is to show the recipient you care—and to make them feel extra-special! Words go a long way in expressing our deepest sentiments, and congratulatory words are no exception.
What are your favorite ways to say congratulations at every milestone?
Wining an award is indeed a remarkable achievement. When someone wins an award in some competition or when he/she is felicitated for some noteworthy work, you as a sensitive person must take a note of it.
I think a congratulations letter written to the winner is a nice way to extend your wishes to him/her. Such a letter proves to be an encouragement to the winner for future achievements.
Many times social organizations or the NGOs write a congratulations letter to recognize the achievement of a person. The companies and the institutions too have to write congratulations letters to the staff members or the celebrated person achieving something special.
Such letters are formal or professional congratulations letters. I cannot say there is a fixed format for such a letters. However, such letters are a bit more difficult to write than the informal family letters.
The selection of words is very important here as you have to use formal and professional language throughout the letter.
Such letters should short. The tone should be pleasant. The intent of the letter will be to congratulate the winner on his achievement and extend wishes for his/her future. You are supposed to come to the point at the outset.
Suppose you as a president of some social organization are writing a congratulations letter to a veteran social worker who has recent won an award for his exemplary work for society. Here the recipient is not your friend or relative.
Since you are writing to an elderly person, your respect for the recipient should be evident in the letter.
Here follows a sample of a formal congratulations letter written to a renowned social worker on his winning the 'Beacon Light Award' for the year 2011 for his selfless service to society. This is just a format and not the only way to write such a letter.
Pheonix Social Organization
23/45 Wordsworth Road
Mr. Michael Hopes
London- CCMM 3LL
This is to congratulate you on your winning the 'Beacon Light Award' for the year 2011 for your relentless and selfless service to society. Let me congratulate you personally as well as on behalf of all the committee members and volunteers at the very outset!
Sir, the entire country knows you as a selfless social worker and a great reformer. The country has witnessed how you elbowed your way through all hardships and worked for the destitute, the needy and the poor. You really have been the beacon light for all those who want to follow your footsteps. The NGOs founded by you in various parts of the country are famous for their exemplary social service. These organizations have set new standards in the field of social work and this has been possible only because of your able guidance.
Sir, you have been working for the last three decades and proved that if people want to bring about the social change they can do so. We the workers of the later generations have been listening to your speeches, observing your methods and learning a lot. You have always been our ideal.
The 'Beacon Light Award' is a note taken by the society of your earnest efforts for the betterment of the society. I think you getting this award this year is the honor of this honor in a true sense. We hope we too do something worthwhile taking some inspiration from your work. We look forward to avail of your invaluable guidance in the coming future.
Once again hearty congratulations!
Pheonix Social Organization
This is one of the ways to write a formal congratulations letter for winning an award. The letter above will definitely prove a great help to you while you draft your formal congratulations letter. You are even free to pick up some of the sentences from the above letter.
Related Congratulations Letter Sample
Congratulation Letter for Winning a Competition
Sample Congratulations on Winning Court Case Letter Download Sample Congratulations on Winning Court Case Letter Format Sample.
Winning a prize is a very satisfying experience. On such happy occasions one wants one’s happiness to be shared. Thus, by sharing his/her happiness you can inspire the individual to win more laurels.
First of all, express your pleasure:
1. It’s very exciting/delightful to learn that you’ve come in the merit list of the Higher Secondary Examination.
2. The exciting news that you’ve won the first prize in the competition organised by the Indian Literary Academy, has filled us with joy.
3. It’s very thrilling to hear that your university has named you the ‘Sportsman of the Year’ and awarded you a gold medal.
4. How delighted I am to know that you’ve been awarded the scholarship for higher studies abroad I
5. It’s difficult to express in words my joy at your getting first prize in the All India University Elocution Competition.
6. I’m as happy as you, if not more, at your coming first in the International Children’s Painting Competition.
7. It was really great amazing to know that …………………
8. We were proud to know/ hear that you won the first prize …………………
9. Felicitations on your having won the first prize in the ………………… competition.
10. We were sure that you could make it happen.
Now give your heart-felt congratulations:
11. Please accept my heartiest congratulations on this glorious achievement.
12. Please convey to your son my hearty congratulations and blessings on his great achievement.
13. Please accept my hearty congratulations on securing a higher position in the merit list.
14. My wife/ mother join me in congratulating you on this happy occasion.
Praise his merit for winning the prize:
15. In fact, your splendid performance and the subsequent reward haven’t come as surprise, because I know that you are an ace debater/painter/athlete.
16. I was sure that a brilliant boy like your son could definitely top the list.
17. This recognition of your talents was, in fact, long overdue.
18. This is another well-deserved addition to the prizes you have already won
19. Your hard work and passion for perfection alone could bring such reward in hand.
20. It was heartening to see you rise unbeatably in the competitions.
21. You have made your parents and friends proud of your achievements.
Discuss the expected good results of winning the prize:
22. With a gold medal in hand it won’t be difficult for you to manage a scholarship for higher studies abroad.
23. This award has, of course, confirmed your reputation as a writer.
24. These are the landmarks that will get counted in your long span of career.
25. Having won this high recognition, you can now make a name in the national as well as international competitions.
26. It’s really fortunate of you/ You are really lucky to have won this scholarship as you will, now, be able to continue your studies without any financial difficulty.
27. With the help of the prize money/award money, you will be able to go ahead with your creative writing without any financial problems.
28. With this excellence in debating, you might well turn out to be an important public speaker in future.
Make this occasion a source of happiness for everyone in the family:
29. Your parents must be feeling very proud of you. You have made your parents really proud.
30. All your friends here are extremely proud of your distinguished achievement.
31. You must be feeling really proud of your son.
32. How we wish we were as talented as you!
33. My family is overjoyed at your impressive performance.
Once again, extend your good wishes at the end of the letter:
34. This is just the beginning and many such awards will follow you.
35. I wish you to add many more feathers to your cap.
36. I hope your very talented daughter achieves many such distinctions in life.
37. (I) hope you continuously strive to better your record.
38. Best Wishes for a distinguished and bright future.
39. Keep it up and you will reach the peak of fame.
It is very exciting to hear that your university has named you the Sportsman of the Year’ and awarded you a gold medal. Please accept my heartiest congratulations on this glorious achievement.In fact your splendid performance and the subsequent reward have not come as a surprise because I know that you are an ace athlete. Having won this high recognition you can, now, make a name in the national as well as international competitions.Hope this is just the beginning and many such awards will follow you.
My best wishes for a distinguished and bright future.
When you write too personalized a letter, you could use a usage like one of the following according to the context:
Congratulations….., Fabulous…! Great….. !
Wonderful…! Amazing….. ! Fantastic…….!
Terrific…..! Marvelous….. ! Miraculous………!
These are examples of what to write in a letter congratulating a newly elected official. Reasons for Writing a Letter to the Winning Candidate.