A farewell letter is a friendly, soft and heart-warming letter that is written to bid good bye to friends, colleagues or relatives. Whether you are graduating from.
When leaving a job, you may want to write your coworkers, boss, or employees a farewell message. You may also want to say thank you in your message.
Writing a pleasant goodbye note may encourage others to remember you fondly. Saying goodbye is #8 on the list of 15 things to do before leaving a job.
At the office, the farewell message is usually sent via email when sending the same message to a group of people such as a team or others that you had contact with. When saying goodbye to one person, such as your boss, mentor, or close coworker, you may want to write a handwritten note instead of sending an email. Handwritten notes may feel more personal, and the person is likely to keep it longer than an email.
You don't have to thank or say goodbye to everyone on the list below with a farewell message. Wanting to thank someone on that list, may be what brought you to this post. So I listed others that you may want to write a message to that you may not have considered otherwise.
If you know of someone else that is leaving, you may want to send them a message. If they send you a farewell email, you could reply and write them a farewell message
Below are some suggestions for what types of things to include in your farewell note. They are followed by sections of examples notes written to a boss, employee, and coworkers.
Your note can look like the example that follows. For more information on the layout of a thank-you note, see these 5 easy steps.
Dear [Person's Name],
Your Message (this is the middle section).
Second paragraph (optional).
Third paragraph (optional).
Closing (such as kind regards, thanks again, etc.),
Note: words in [brackets] in the examples below, should be replaced appropriately for your note.
The format of the farewell examples messages will be the same, so only the middle section of the note is included in the examples below when the note has only 1 paragraph. You can add additional paragraphs to any of the samples if you desire. You can also combine wording from different examples into your note.
Note: This section of examples is for when you are sending one email to multiple people. Since its being sent to a group, you will not be thanking anyone for anything specific. Some of the examples will feel generic and simple. These emails are more casual and could be for a boss sending an email to employees or coworkers to coworkers.
I've enjoyed working with all of you. My last day is [Day of Week], [Date]. If you'd like to stay in touch here are my contact details:
List only the contact details you want to provide.
personal email address
Also, feel free to send me your contact details.
I'll be starting a new opportunity next week. My last day here is [Day of Week], [Date].
If you'd like to stay in touch, my email address is [your email address].
Thank you all for being so great to work with it! It's been an honor working with such a dedicated and successful group.
If you haven't heard yet, I've accepted a position at [Company Name]. My last day here is [Day of Week], [Date].
Please feel free to stop by my [desk/cube/office] this week.
You've been the best team I've ever worked with. Working to together on projects has been a delight. I will miss working with you. However, I'm am excited about my new opportunity with [Company Name].
My Facebook page is [link to your Facebook page], and my email address is [your email address].
We've accomplished a lot together as a team. It's been an honor working with each of you. I have enjoyed the camaraderie and consider each of you a friend.
I am excited to move on to a new challenge at [Company Name]. If you want to know more about it, please let me know.
Also, please respond if you'd like to stay in touch, and then we can share personal contact information.
As [Boss's name] announced in the meeting yesterday, my last day is on [date]. I am leaving with a tinge of sadness as I've come to enjoy a friendship with each of you.
You've inspired me to keep learning as much as I can. Now, to keep growing, I feel that moving to a larger company will lead to more opportunities.
Thank you for being a fantastic team!
Let's stay in touch.
You've been a fantastic team for the past two years. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to work with each of you. My last day is on [date]. I am hoping we can squeeze in a team lunch before then.
Also, thank you for listening to all of my cat stories! I am very excited that my next position is at the Humane Society where I can spend plenty of time helping cats.
[Note: In your note, replace the sentence above with whatever you talked about a lot with your coworkers and where your next position is and why you are excited about it]
This could be done in a handwritten note or an email or even an instant message if your company uses Skype or Slack (or another messaging program).
Hello [Person's Name]
I have enjoyed having you on my team during the past few years. I am thankful for all of your contributions to our team. Your work on [project name] was outstanding and provided a great deal of value to the company.
Also, I appreciate your honesty whenever I asked for feedback on my performance. Not everyone was willing to share things with me.
As I start my new opportunity, know that I will miss working with you. Perhaps our paths will cross again in the future. Until then, please keep in touch! My personal emails is [your email address] and my phone number is ###-###-####.
2. Thank you for being a dependable employee. You will be missed. You were terrific and supportive with training new hires. It's going to be hard to replace you.
3. I wish you all the best at your new position. Thank you for everything you did while on my team. Your work on [project name] was top notch. You'll be remembered as one of the good ones!
4. I am sad to see you go! But I am happy for you at the same time. The new position may be precisely what you are looking for. Thank you for always being willing to help out with whatever was needed without complaining.
5. You've been an incredible support to the team and me. Thank you for all of your process improvements. Your legacy will live on here with all the macros and other tools you developed to make everyone's jobs easier. I wish you all the success in your next position.
6. Thank you for your hard work and dedication while you were on my team. [Client name] expressed many times how much they liked having you on their project. They are going to miss you too! Here is my personal email address if you'd like to stay in touch: [your email address].
7. You will be missed! I do hope your new job provides you with what you were looking for as a next career step. Thank you for being awesome.
Hello [Boss's Name],
Thank you for being the best boss I've had so far in my career. You're a wonderful listener, and I felt valued as a team member.
The team events over the years have helped with team bonding. Some people will say they are a waste of time, but they were not to me.
If you want to stay in my personal email is [your email address].
All the best,
Thank you for all the advice you have given me. I appreciate the recommendation you gave to [new company name] on my behalf. I believe it helped me to get the job. I am looking forward to trying out [new career field].
Please stay in touch.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me while I worked on your team. You helped me to learn that there are often many ways, not just A or B, to solve problems. I will remember that advice.
I want to stay in touch. What is your personal email address? Mine is [your email address].
4. You’ve been a great manager. I will miss working with you and the team. Perhaps our paths will cross again in the future.
5. It’s been an honor working with you. I will treasure all of the advice you passed on about [job topic]. Whoever you hire to replace me, will be fortunate to learn from you.
6. You were my favorite team lead ever! I will miss chatting with you. Thank you for giving me opportunities to learn and improve my skills in [topic/program]. It's because of you that I was able to accept the manager position at [new company name]. I appreciate all your support in my personal development.
7. Thank you for being a wonderful boss. Your integrity made your team great to be on. I felt inspired to give my best every day. If you want to stay in touch, my email is [your email address]
Note: it can be easy to say Good Luck. There are 100+ ways to say good luck here.
These messages can be sent as a reply to a farewell message. Or if you didn’t receive a farewell note, you can still send the person that is leaving an email, if you desire.
1. I have enjoyed working with you! Good luck at your new position.
2. Thank you for all you taught me about [subject they taught you about]. My knowledge and skills improved because of the time you spent mentoring me. I wish you all the best!
3. Wow! I am excited for you. We had some fun times working together. Good luck at the new job.
4. You'll do great at your new position! Thank you for being a great friend while we worked together.
5. Thank you for everything that you taught me! I enjoyed working with you and wish you all the best in at your new position.
6. I am excited for you and your new position. I hope it works out well for you. Thank you for being an excellent teammate while we worked together.
7. I am going to miss working with you! I appreciate all you taught me about [topic]. You were a great mentor!
1. You were one of my favorite people to work it. I'm so glad we were assigned to the same team. Thank you for being so fun to work with it. I liked discussing programming problems with you and coming up with solutions.
2. Sitting next to you for the past few years has been delightful. I will miss hearing your stories and working on projects with you. You are very good at the position. If you ever decide you want to join me at [company name of new position], I will gladly recommend you. Of course, I better make sure I like working their first! I'll let you know in a few weeks how thing are going.
3. Thank you for all of your support while we worked together. I appreciate all the time you spent mentoring me when I was new. I feel like I learned more from you than anyone else. Your knowledge about [topic] surpasses most others. I'd love to stay in touch. Here is my contact information [and then provide your contact information].
4. I'm so glad we made a connection that day in the cafeteria when you saw my cat shirt. I love talking about cats with you. You may have heard already, but my last day is [Date]. I accepted a new position at [company name]. Would you like to meet for in a few weeks? I should be settled in by then.
5. I will miss working with you! My last day is on Friday. Thank you for all of your help and support during the past year. I hope our friendship will continue once I start the new position. My contact information is: [list your contact info]. Thank you!
6. Thank you for being a reliable source of information about [topic]. As you may know, you became my trusted source during the past year. I appreciate that you were always up to date with the latest information. I am going to miss your expertise. I hope we can stay in touch as friends! My email address is [your email address].
7. I loved working with you. Please know that I will miss you and look forward to meeting for lunch soon. Thank you for being a great friend and coworker!
I hope the examples above helped you to write your farewell message!
Have you ever received a memorable farewell message? Did it include a thank you? What did it say?
Have you ever received a memorable farewell message?.
*Update* Check out this goodbye email generator
After you quit your job, your goodbye email to your coworkers has the power to set the tone for the whole of your tenure, your departure, and your farewell happy hour drinks at 5.
Leaving with your best face forward is a balancing act between:
The subject line of your goodbye email should convey the ominous nature of your message without being too alarming, keeping in mind your boss has probably already told everyone anyway.
Stay away from phrases like, “This is it,” “My unfortunate departure,” or “Checking out for good,” and instead go with something like, “I bid you adieu,” “A Fond Farewell,” or “Here’s to all the sexual harassment lawsuits I escaped.”
This will make your coworkers excited to read your email (later, when they have some time).
Begin by mentioning what a tough decision this was, and make sure to relate how much you enjoyed working on such an awesome team. Say how thankful you are for everything they’ve taught you, but also be grateful for everything you were able to teach them.
There’s at least one person on every team that everyone likes to make fun of. By making fun of this person, you’ll be remembered as one of the cool kids. Say something like “I’ll miss all of you, well not all of you, I’m not naming names (Greg).”
It’s very important to subtly throw in how long you were a member of the team, so that people appreciate the time you put in. People have a tendency to not remember this, so make sure to remind them. Your coworkers will say, “Oh wow, she was here that long?”
Mention all the teams and projects you contributed to, in a way that makes it seem like you’re not bragging even though you’re totally bragging. Think of this as a list of your notable contributions subtly disguised as nostalgic reminiscing.
When you mention where you’re headed next, it’s important to describe it in a vague way that also makes it sound incredible.
Say something like:
This will have everyone’s tongue wagging about where you’re going, and will give you something to talk about during those awkward goodbye drinks conversations.
It’s important to leave a few ways to reach you:
Since goodbyes are hard for everyone, talk about how this isn’t really goodbye. Say you’re only an email away. Say you hope your paths will cross again.
End with some parting, sage advice that shows what a deep person you are. This can be a quote from Seth Godin or Steve Jobs, or a general statement about always learning, giving it your all, continuing to change the world and striving for greatness. Be excited for them, and be excited for yourself, and overall leave on a positive note that re-iterates how sad, but still excited, everyone should be.
Finally, here’s a sample email that you can use as a template.
Fellow <insert catchy nickname for your team>,
It’s with <a heavy heart, a gentle sad face, a knowing glance> that I must share with you my decision to leave <insert name of company>. This was <obviously, clearly, apparently> a very difficult decision to make.
It’s hard to believe that <insert how long you worked there> ago, I was the <insert your first position at the company>. From that time, until when I was <insert next position>, and all the way to my current role as <insert current position>, I have grown so much. Thank you for teaching and inspiring me, and allowing me to do the same for you.
I am headed off to explore my next chapter <insert vague but exciting thing you’ll be doing.>
I’m excited about my future there while I continue to be excited about all the things you’ll continue to accomplish here (except for you <insert name of person everyone makes fun of>), you never finish anything!
If I could leave you all with just one thought, remember <insert sage advice>.
If you ever want to get in touch, my contact info is below. This isn’t goodbye, our paths will cross again. Hopefully at farewell happy hour drinks at 5!
<insert your name>
If you enjoyed this, sign up for my free weekly email to be the first to see new stuff on The Cooper Review.
The news of your decision to leave surprised us all. We will miss you, but realize that exciting opportunities and challenges await you. It has been an honor to be your colleague for the past five years. We have all benefited from your wit and wisdom and wish you every success on your career path.
I had mixed feelings when I learned of your new assignment. I guess the old saying that "all good things must come to an end" is true. Although we will miss you, we have to admit that management has made a wise choice in placing you where they can benefit most from your talents. We will long remember the hard work and happy moments we have shared. You have been a great team member. Best wishes and keep up the good work.
Congratulations on your fantastic new job! Jane gave me the scoop at lunch. By hiring you, Doe Corporation is making an excellent human resource investment. But I will miss you. You are a terrific friend and colleague. Work will not be the same without you answering extension 555. Hey, are there any openings at your new company? Keep me posted.
Thank you for your letter of April 5. I want you to know that we are very excited about your success and know that you have worked hard to earn it. At your request, I will no longer hold your position open here at Doe Corporation. However, I would like nothing better than to have you return to Springfield to work with us in completing our product. Please keep us informed of your progress.
On a personal level, I have very much enjoyed getting to know you. Your excellent mind, fine work ethic, and your integrity will serve you well throughout your life.
Writing a goodbye email to co-workers when you quit your job is the polite and but it also ensures that you end things on the most positive note possible.
Leaving your job is not as simple as packing your things in a box and instantly move out of the company’s doors. As a professional employee, there are certain decorums that you must observe even in your resignation. Considering the bond you and your coworkers made within the four walls in your company, it would be rude to abandon with no sign at all. To avoid any negative impression, read through this article to learn more about goodbye letter emails for your colleagues.
It is not really easy to say goodbye to your coworker’s face to face, that is why the best way to do it is through writing a goodbye email for them. It becomes easier when you put your whole emotions through writing. Check out our examples here and find an email cover letter that suitable in your situation.
Whether you like it or not, separation is an inevitable part of people’s lives. It simply means that each human relationship in this world always has a beginning and an ending. Similarly, this applies to your workplace as well. Whether you feel bad or good about your resignation, here are some of the reasons why a sending a goodbye email is a great idea.
Your resignation could be tailed with various emotions and most likely, you have these words in your head that you want to be expressed before you completely move out of the company. Bearing these the whole time could be fussy baggage for you. By writing a resignation letter, you can completely and precisely state the things you wanted to say. No matter if you simply want to thank them or you want to convey a dramatic yet realistic letter, a farewell email is a convenient and easy option.
Likewise, an email of farewell for your coworkers frees your negative social past, too. Assuming that you are that someone who had an untasteful history with one or more of your workmates, and you simply want to inform them that you already have forgiven them, a goodbye email is a good method to mention those kinds of stuff as well.
Emails allow you to express what you feel even without seeing the recipient face-to-face. Thus, this method of saying goodbye is a great choice for people with a shy personality or those that are secretive with their feelings. If you can’t simply tell your colleagues about your resignation then at least notify them using emails.
Let’s say that you are more driven by your rationality, saying a simple goodbye to your coworkers will never be a loss. As you go out of the company, treat your ex-coworkers as significant contacts of yours. Don’t forget that some of these people become your friends as well and could potentially help you in the future. For example, if you still don’t have a secured next job to land on, these people may know someone who is hiring and refer you.
This is highly relatable for those who are in management-related occupations. Goodbye emails are also an effective tool for you to notify your coworkers about the important directives regarding your job or workplace. You can also place some guidelines that would support your previous workmates, especially if they are not that independent enough yet.
Especially when you have already been in your job for a very long time, you probably made a strong bond with your colleagues. Because of this, it could be very hard for you to move on to your next chapter. By sending a farewell letter email, you can properly explain and inform them about your resignation. Furthermore, if your coworkers really care, most probably you’ll get a response as well. Thus, you can free yourself from being anxious about your separation.
If saying goodbye to your colleagues face-to-face challenges you, utilize the opportunity that the internet has given to you. You may consider sending them goodbye emails for your convenience and ease. If the idea of email composition still confuses you, here are some steps you can follow to smoothly write your own.
If you want an interesting goodbye email, it would be a great idea to start with something that would intrigue the minds of your coworkers in your email’s introduction. However, don’t put it in the point where your readers would panic or feel anxious about your resignation. By doing this, you’re making your letter appear interesting and worth reading.
Some of the lines you may utilize include:
Mention that it is also a difficult decision for you to leave your team. Remember, you also had a good time within your working days and bonds are made. Consequently, by stating that resigning was not easy will give them the natural idea that you treat your companionship sincerely.
Your goodbye email should not be all about sadness; thus, lighten the mood of your readers. You can pinpoint someone with a joke or a punch line that your readers would buy. In this way, you can show that you value the workmates you mentioned. So if you feel humorous, it is truly alright to make fun of someone but don’t take it to the point where it already sounds offensive. As a friend, you might already be aware of what’s a good or bad joke, right?
In order for your reader visualize your words, it is a great factor to include something quantifiable like time. By stating how long you have been in the company, it would seem like you really count each of those days as valuable moments of your existence
Since it would sound cheesy for most of the people to hear it from you in person, frankly tell them that you have enjoyed working in the company. It’s pretty certain that not all of your days in the office are filled with doomed labor. Hence, mention at least a significant project that really moved you or a specific event of your working journey where you felt happy.
Leaving your job does not always refer to cutting the bond between you and your colleagues. If you still want to let your coworkers have access to you, it would be very advisable to state any contact information about you. In this way, it would be a lot easier for your colleagues to reach you. You can also put a call-to-action in this portion.
Here are the important things to consider in writing a professional email to your coworkers.
1. Before writing a goodbye email, think of the following.
2. Follow the tips and steps stated above so you will know to yourself on how to create a very simple yet effective goodbye email to your coworkers. You may also like payment email examples & samples
3. Or you can use our goodbye emails examples in this article so you can create your own formal email and use it as your reference. All of these examples are available for download.
Size: 12 KB
Size: 14 KB
Size: 13 KB
Size: 17 KB
Size: 15 KB
If you're leaving your job, you're wondering about the best way to say goodbye to your colleagues. Learn how to write the perfect farewell.